Friday, April 10, 2015

Summit Rainier Senior, William, Shares His Dream to Become a Mechanical Engineer


William’s one piece of advice to other Summit students? “Don’t be afraid to take risks.”


Summit Public Schools currently has a 95% college acceptance rate across our 4 high schools with seniors (Everest and Summit Prep in Redwood City as well as Summit Tahoma and Rainier in San Jose), and acceptance letters are still coming in! 

Meet William, a Summit Rainier senior, who was recently accepted to Harvey Mudd College, one of the top-performing engineering schools in the country.On his acceptance letter, the Vice President of admissions wrote, "The strengths you have developed as a self-directed learner will serve you well at HMC!"

Which colleges have you been accepted to, and are you leaning toward one in particular?
For me, making decisions is never easy. Right now, I’ve been accepted to UC Irvine, two Cal Poly Universities, University of the Pacific, and the Illinois Institute of Technology. Harvey Mudd is at the top of my list. It’s going to be a tough decision, but in the end, I know I’ll make the right one. Also, my mentor, Mr. Lee, set aside time to look over my application essays. I really appreciate all of the effort he’s put into supporting me throughout this long process and wanted to thank him for that.
What college major are you interested in pursuing?
I am interested in mechanical engineering with a focus in civil or aerospace. When I was younger, I would always look at roadmaps and attempt to understand where the connections went to. On road trips I would never sleep; I would look out the window to see what’s out there, what’s new. As a teenager I became fascinated with airplanes for the same reason. I’d love to more thoroughly explore flight mechanics in college.
How do you think Summit has prepared you for this new journey?
My time at Summit has taught me that change is a good thing even if it can be rough at times. You’ve got to practice perseverance. Also, the independence and taking ownership of my education will be a great benefit at any college. All the programs I’m interested in are project-based and emphasize collaboration. Definitely taking notes and focusing on what’s important is something that I’ve learned at Summit. I took a summer course at Evergreen last summer which reinforced the importance of studying outside of school. I had to take control of my own education, just like I’ve been practicing during high school, and make the right choices.
Outside of the classroom, what activities are you involved in?
I’m a player on  an intramural hockey team. I enjoy it because it’s a fast paced environment that forces you to think on your feet. It also reinforces group skills that we learn at Summit like trust, compassion, and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! We will get back to you shortly.

Summit Public Schools