Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Reflections from a Summit Prep Alumna in College


Jenny Gonzalez, a Summit Prep alumna who graduated in 2012, is currently a senior at Sonoma State University and graduating Spring 2016. She is majoring in Communications with a minor in Spanish. Even though Jenny graduated almost four years ago from Summit, she couldn’t stay away from the community and has interned with multiple Summit teams.
“I’m really grateful for the habits and skills I learned at Summit that prepared me for college.”
 
How did Summit prepare you for college?
If Summit didn’t have office hours and really encouraged me to go when I was in high school, I don’t think I would have even known what office hours really were. When going to my professor's office hours, I know how to ask questions and share concerns I have. Also, going to office hours in college has really helped me have a good relationship with my teachers. Building a relationship with a teacher during office hours could benefit for writing letters of recommendation or references.
What advice would you give to a Summit student?
Really make the most of high school. Four years go by really quickly and then you’re on your own. Make sure to give it your all with your academics because they matter when it comes to classes in college, or even the colleges you are eligible to apply to. Also, join school clubs, go to all the dances, have school spirit, be proud to be a part of the Summit community.
What are you looking forward to after college graduation?
Finding a job where I can help my community be seen as a positive place. As an East Palo Alto native, I know that it isn’t just a city full of violence -- that’s how the media always makes it seem. I majored in Communications to change that perspective of my city. So whether it is a job in media or a non profit organization, I just look forward to helping people that have gone through the same struggles as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! We will get back to you shortly.

Summit Public Schools